So I’m still putzing around in my house, DESPITE getting my new dual fan crazy video card because… reasons.
- I got a fancy treadmill and body scanner for the “medical practice” part of my house, and the lab and employee break room had to move upstairs to make room for the new patient areas. The new space for employees upstairs is significantly bigger than their previous location. The surly protostar employees are getting a really fancy locker room with a decontamination shower adjoining the lab. I might even have space for a server room. (Five levels, guys.)
- I also ended up redoing my stairwell MANY times because of, sigh, item budget. Back to non-spiral boring stairs.
- I learned to make sinks and toilets. I have a lot of them now. A medical practice uses a lot of sinks – one in each exam room, one in the employee “kitchenette” area, one in the lab, and obviously in each kitchen and bathroom (hint, 4 bathrooms). The employee bathroom will get TWO sinks and TWO toilets and the aforementioned decontamination shower! You’re jealous, right? You want to come work for me, I can tell.
Back to the point of me telling you about this. I am spending my in-game time lately obsessively positioning walls and whatnot and not really paying attention to population. Lack of server population is not affecting me at all. When I do level, I level with thehusband, and we’re in no rush to 50. In fact, the plan is to get a SECOND toon to 50 before doing attunement.
- Reason 1: Attunement is really time-consuming and expensive so you’d better be fucking sure that you’re not going to change mains.
- Reason 2: With any luck, Carbine will finally realize that they do need to put things in the game for casuals and get on that.
So let’s talk about megaservers.
1. We are all getting moved to megaservers.
Well, that’s nice, when? Apparently, 3-6 weeks. That is not nearly as long as I thought.
2. In the meantime, we can transfer for free.
I’m thinking why bother if it’s only 6 weeks max, but other people are probably foaming at the mouth to transfer.
3. Naming Clashes.
So how are they dealing with naming issues?
A. We are all getting Surnames.
Bleh. I get why they have to do it, because otherwise lots of QQ from people losing their names. But… I want my secret alts to be secret, dammit. It’s basically a forced account ID linking your toons. Sigh. At least I might be able to ignore people by surname and never ever hear from them again, not even on an alt. ohpleaseplease.
EDIT 9/4: It has been brought to my attention that you don’t need to have an account-wide surname. Each toon gets an individual surname. Fun times!
B. And we get to change our first names.
We can now obviously have a non-unique first name due to the special snowflake surname. BUT – everyone gets free first name changes when this goes into effect. When you login to the megaserver for the first time, you designate your surname AND can optionally change your first name.
EDIT 9/4: Since surnames are per character, each character will simply be flagged for a rename and you can designate first and last names for that toon the first time you log in to the megaserver with that toon.
There will be some complex way to decide which guild gets “their” name and which does not once the merger happens. I really don’t care about guild names, but it’s a thing that will cause QQ. Apparently before the merger, with optional transfers, there is no support for guild moving, so don’t do it! Keep the lights on with an alt if you have to.
4. More character slots.
Sort of. 12 on the megaserver (currently 6 per server), but no option to roll alts elsewhere. I can’t imagine having that many toons already but I guess it’s possible.
5. Back to Housing
OMG guys, do you realize that with a megaserver you will have so many public houses to visit! And if you have one lvl 14 toon on each faction you can tour them ALL. The housing contests will be insane.
How do you feel about megaservers?